Magento is a leading ecommerce platform for creating robust online stores. It is basically available in two packages, one is community version which is open source and absolutely free for web developers. The other one is Enterprise ecommerce package which is a paid version with few more advanced features. In fact community ecommerce version is itself capable of running complex online stores and several Web development companies use it for developing complex online stores.
Linux CentOS Setup Instructions for Magento Ecommerce
Now let’s start with instructions for configuring a Linux CentOs server to meet minimum Magento installation requirements. Here we will assume that you have pre-installed Parallel plesk and PHP 5+ along with all other basic packages. This article will explain each step in detail for novice or expert Magento developers or server administrators.
Now let us first check which plugin or server setting is missing on our web server. For this purpose:
1) Download Magento Check file from its website. This script will identify any issues you may have with your hosting server. Extract the zip folder and upload single php file to your server root or magento folder. Now run the file by accessing it directly through your domain name.
2) Most probably, PHP Mcrypt plugin must be missing from your dedicated web server configuration. This is a commonly missing plugin from virtual servers, and is a big pain for web development companies but there is a simple workaround for this. So nothing to worry, you just focus on delivering Web Development Services and we will assist you in setting up your server. Isn’t it a good deal 🙂
So, for installing php-mcrypt there are some necessary steps to follow as listed below:
1) First you need SSH access to your root server. You can use Putty application for this purpose that can be downloaded from here.
2) Once it is ready and installed on your PC, open and enter your hostname or IP along with server Port number. If you don’t know port number, try using Port 22. Now click OPEN.
See screenshots below:
3) Now you will see a black pop up screen asking for your Username. Enter your root user name. (Generally called root in most of the cases). Press enter and it will ask you for your password. Just type it in and again press enter. (Note: While typing password, cursor may not move or blink, so don’t worry, Just keep typing it)
4) Now you are logged in to root of your Linux CentOS 6 server. This is exactly where we will run few commands to install php-mcrypt on centos 6. And not just mcrypt, you are going to use it for installing any php extension you may require in future. A Web Development Company or a Web Developer will always require this panel again and again for setting up PHP to meet custom demos or other open source application requirements.
5) Now to install PHP Mcrypt, we will use YUM, a package manager that comes pre-installed with virtual or dedicated servers. Just type following command:
# Yum install php-mcrypt
6) By this YUM will search for mcrypt files in repository list that server may contain. If you get a success message, the you are good to go. Just restart your apache with following command and you are done:
# service httpd restart
Now go and refresh your Magento –Check file. The problem with missing extension should be gone. You as a web development company now have learnt the very basic but critical step to run your projects successfully.
However, if you find any error in 5th step above, there are few more steps to follow:
1) In this scenario a Web Developer or server administrator should install Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux(EPEL) through RPM extension files available on fedora website. Make sure that you select right RPM file by matching your CentOS version. The code we are sharing below is for EPEL 6.7 Repo on CentOS 6 x86_64 bit.
# wget http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/x86_64/epel-release-6-7.noarch.rpm
2) Now system will ask you for some confirmation. Check the warning messages and press Y and enter on your keyboard. Once installation is finished you are ready to install Mcrypt on your server. Just type:
# Yum install php-mcrypt
And restart your apache:
# service httpd restart
By now php-mcrypt must be installed on your server. To confirm refresh your Magento Check file that we discussed above.
So, how it goes for you? Let us know your experience or if there is anything we can assist you with. We are a leading web development company in India and are having expert magento developers. We provide Magento installation services, Magento Theme Customization, Magento plugin development, Magento Development and various other ecommerce design services. Just ask for a quote and we will get back to you within 5 hours.